Sunday, March 4, 2007

At the crossroads again....

That's what I think. The last one month or so has been one helluva ride. But I see a lot of direction coming into my life. I remember my first day in class 11. The class teacher asked each one of us to introduce ourself and about what we wanted to do in the future. My reply to the second question:"After class 10, I felt I was at the cross roads of my life. I am still not sure of what to do but I have decided to become an engineer."

Those lines I will never forget. I didn't become an engineer and at every stage of my life thereafter, whenever I had to take a decision on my life, or about my career, I felt the same: that, I was at a crossroad.

Everytime I kept asking myself, when does my time start. I was desperate to see clearly into my future. That feeling of being at a cross road was lousy. One path taken, soon I was at another cross road where I had to take an important decision. The decisions would be easy to take but I would soon realise that each decision I took came with a lot of baggage. Each decision would have some demand of me and these demands started getting harder and harder to fulfill. Many decisions would push me to the precipice and to do a great balancing act, I later realised.

Over time, I began to accept the fact that one cross road gone, I would come to one more in time. But there was a trend that I observed, with every new cross road I came to: that every cross road was wider and bigger, that the view of the road ahead would become clearer. And, the view was a steeper climb and more demands!

However, after every climb there is also a moment where I stop and look back at the climb so far and smile. The last climb was one helluva climb. From the time I finished my CA final exams, I had an MBA on mind. The climb to get inside the gates of a good school was not easy. Lot's of planning and learnings have gone into this effort (i.e. getting into business school).

I know I will be there again, at the crossroads. But, let me enjoy this moment for now. The view from here is not bad. ISB, "Hello, this is Anand".

No comments: